Jag pratar inte svenska. – I don’t speak Swedish.
… but soon you will. Well, at least some basic Swedish ;)
Are you going to Sweden? For a trip, work or maybe a semester abroad? You probably haven’t learned any Swedish yet. No Problem, Swedes speak excellent English. So you can communicate without learning a single Swedish word.
But, of course, learning a few basic Swedish sentences, to impress the attractive shop assistant or barkeeper can’t be wrong.
To get prepared for simple Swedish conversations, here are basic Swedish sentences and phrases for Sweden tourists.
Basic Swedish survival phrases for travelers
Say Hello in Swedish
Let’s get started with the number 1 word you have to know in Swedish…
Swedish for Hello
Hej! – Hello!
How to pronounce Hej in Swedish
(More videos on how to correctly pronounce the words will follow soon. Subscribe to Hej Sweden TV)
Alternatively you can also say:
More Swedish greetings
- Formal: God morgon/dag/kväll – Good morning/day/evening
- Formal person trying to be funny (old style): Goddagens – Good day/hello
- Buddy-level: Tjenare – Hi
- Close buddy: Tja (short form of tjenare) – Yo
- Buddy who is fed up saying tjenare or tja too often: Tjabba – Yooo
At arrival at someone’s place, the host says to the guest
- Välkommen! – Welcome!
- Välkommen in! – Welcome in!
Basic Swedish sentences & phrases
How to say I don’t speak english in Swedish
- Jag pratar inte svenska – I don’t speak Swedish
Introduce yourself in Swedish
My name is … in Swedish
- Hej, jag heter … – Hello, my name is …
What is your name in Swedish
- Vad heter du? – What is your name?
How are you in Swedish
- Hur mår du? – How are you? (formal)
- Hur är läget? – What’s up? (informal)
How to say “I love you” in Swedish
- Jag älskar dig! – I love you!
Please in Swedish
- .., snälla. – …, please.
- … är du snäll. – Could you … (like in “Skulle du kunna sätta dig, är du snäll?” – “Would you please sit down?”)
You’re welcome in Swedish
- Varsådgod! – You’re welcome!
How to say yes in Swedish
- Ja – Yes
Sorry in Swedish
- Förlåt – Sorry
- Ursäkta – Excuse me
Thank you in Swedish, formal
- Tack! – Thank you!
- Tack så mycket! – Thanks a lot!
Thank you in Swedish, informal
- Tack som fan! – Thanks (lit.) like the devil! (I know, sounds funny. Swedes use a lot of “devil” in their language. But more about that further below.)
Swedish phrase for good luck
- Lycka till! – Good luck!
Swedish swear sentences
- Håll din jävla skäft! – Shut the fuck up!
- Jävla fitta! – (lit. Devilish cunt) Fucking cunt!
- Stick, din jävel! – (lit. Walk off you devil!) Piss off!
Swedish phrase for goodbye
- Hejdå – Goodbye
Do you know anyone else who should learn these words and phrases? Share this with your friends!
Which phrases would you ad to the list? Maybe some funny or dirty Swedish sentences? Please comment below!
More tips how to learn the Swedish language fast
slut – finish