Are you already looking forward to your trip to Sweden? You can't wait to experience Sweden's beautiful nature, exciting parties and maybe even getting to know some of the locals? Then you might probably like to impress some Swedes with your brilliant language skills.
Useful knowledge about Sweden
- Sweden travel guide & best places to visit in Sweden
- Top 10 tipps how to learn Swedish
- Swedish culture guide
Useful Swedish words and sentences for chat with a Swede
The following sentences and words are ideal for having a small-talk with Swedes. No matter when, while having a chat with the waiter/waitress, talking to the hotel receptionist or when you want to introduce a flirty conversation with that beautiful person standing next to you at the hotel bar or night club.
To learn the correct Swedish pronunciation, watch the video further below!
- Hej, jag heter … – Hi, my name is …
- Hur mår du? – How are you?
- Vad heter du? – What is your name?
- Och du då? – And yours?
- Var kommer du ifrån? – Where are you from?
- Jag kommer från ett vackert land. – I'm from a beautiful country.
- Vad gör du ikväll? – What are you doing tonight?
- Jag ska dansa bugg. – I am going to dance Bugg. (Swedish social dance)
- Vill du följa med? – Would you like to join?
- Ja, det skulle vara trevligt! – Yes, that would be nice!
Jag är … – I am …
- … glad – … glad
- … här – … here
- … hungrig – … hungry
- … törstig – … thirsty
- … singel – … single
- … bakis – … hungover
So, now you're well prepared for a (rather) fluent small-talk with Swedes. Or, well, at least you have some snippets to impress them with :)
Good luck! – Lycka till!
More about Sweden and Swedes
- Top 100 Swedish names for boys & girls
- Gift ideas for Sweden-lovers
- Books to read before you go to Sweden