One of the most typical Swedish main courses: Janssons frestelse (Jansson’s temptation). You can find it on menus in Sweden, everywhere where you find classic Swedish home cooking.
If you are not in Sweden, but would like to try out how to cook this traditional Swedish dish yourself, here is the recipe for Janssons frestelse.
Janssons frestelse – Jansson’s temptation recipe
- 700 g raw potatoes
- 250 g anchovy fillets, marinated
- 2 large onions
- 300-400 ml cream
- 3 tablespoons breadcrumbs
Proportion: 1/4 onions, 3/4 potatoes, with the finely chopped anchovy fillets in between
- Peel potatoes and cut into strips
- Cut onions into thin strips
- Spread butter on a baking dish
- One layer of potatoes, onions on top, anchovies on top, then potatoes again, etc.
- Finish with a layer of potatoes
- Press the upper layer flat
- Pour cream over it
- Possibly pour some anchovy marinade from the tin over it
- sprinkle breadcrumbs over it
- salt and pepper on it
- Spread some butter over it
- Then in the oven for one hour, at 230°C
If the upper layer turns brown too quickly, cover the baking dish with aluminium foil.