Discover your Swedishness with 25 Sweden Challenge tasks
- Join the Sweden Challenge to discover Sweden in a more authentic and entertaining way.
- Become a Master of Sweden or take the photo of the month.
- And win the book How to be Swedish.
Quick guide how to join
Take a photo that shows you doing one of the 25 Sweden Challenge tasks (see below). Add the hashtag #SwedenChallenge to the description of your publicly visible photo on your Instagram, Twitter or Facebook account. Even if you only take only one picture of you solving a Sweden Challenge task, you can already win How to be Swedish. (More instructions further below.)
25 Sweden Challenge tasks
- Have a fika.
Eat a kanelbulle (cinnamon bun) and en kopp kaffe (a cup of coffee) in a Swedish café.
Order “En kaffe och en kanelbulle, tack!”
- Sit in the luggage space of a Volvo V70/V90.
- Order a beer or cider in a bar or pub.
“En öl/cider, tack!”
- Get a nummerlapp.
Nummerlapp is a ticket from a ticketdispenser. You find them in many stores, banks, post offices and pharmacies.
- Shovel godis (candy) from a godisvägg (candy wall in supermarkets) into a little paper bag.
- Kiss a Swede.
… on the cheek (at least). That should be someone who you haven’t know longer than maybe an hour.
(Of course, I can’t prove how long you knew the person. Just see is as an opportunity to strech your comfort zone a little and get to know a Swede with the excuse that you’re just participating in the Sweden Challenge. :))
So, even better, get a puss (kiss) from a Swede on your cheek.
- Drink a Swedish snaps after singing “Helan går“.
- Listen to ABBA and make an ABBA (or 70’s) dance move.
- Go by Swedish public transport (bus, subway, tram). Choose an empty double seat. Put an item on the seat next to you to mark that you want to sit alone. (Picture of that item on the seat.)
- Take a photo of you with a moose (or moose sign) in the background.
- Sing the Swedish national anthem, together with a Swede. Show your best singing skills or pose (if photo instead of video).
- Try a kebabpizza together with vitkålsallad (kale salad).
- Go into a Swedish souvenir shop and get an item with a Swedish flag on it (can be anything, from a fridge magnet, key ring to an actual Swedish flag).
- Go to an Ikea store, lay down in one of their beds and pretend you’re sleeping.
- Eat köttbullar.
(Pronounce correctly while ordering. Now that you already are at Ikea. ;) )
- Buy a systemetpåse (Sytembolaget’s plastic bag) and carry a bottle or can of … (whatever you like) in it.
- Take a picture of you in front of a typical Swedish red house (rött hus med vita knutar).
- Stand in a queue with an appropriate Swedish distance to the person in front.
- Have a barbecue, while trying not to get bitten by a mosquito.
- Show your love to nature. (What about doing so by hugging a tree?)
- Swedify your first or last name. If impossible, choose which Swedish names you’d like to have in case you’d be a Swede.
- Play kubb (Viking chess).
- Make a midsommarkrans (midsummer wreath).
Even though it’s maybe not exactly on midsummer. But just to get a little feeling of this Swedish tradition. Put it on your hair and dance like little frogs in a circle. Ask a Swede for proper instructions.
- Open a can of Surströmming.
But first, let a Swede explain to you why NOT to open it inside a building. It’s up to you if you want to try to taste Surströmming.
- Jump into a Swedish lake from a brygga (bridge).
2 ways to join and win the Sweden Challenge 2017
1. Photo of the month – take a creative Sweden Challenge picture
After each month, during summer (May to September 2017) a winner will be announced on Hej Sweden’s Instagram, Twitter and Facebook. Each winner of the “photo of the month” contest receives the book How to be Swedish. All publicly visible images with the hashtag #SwedenChallenge on Instagram, Twitter, Facebook quallify for the contest. (More terms & conditions.)
2. Become a Master of Sweden – pass all 25 Sweden Challenge tasks
Share 25 photos that show you solving all 25 tasks. Among all Masters of Sweden, 5 winners will be randomly drawn and announced in October 2017. All winners of the Master of Sweden contest will receive the book How to be Swedish and a surprise! (More terms & conditions.)
Alternative: just for yourself
You can also solve one or more of the 25 tasks as an opportunity to discover Sweden. And maybe just share with your friends or loved ones, to show them how Swedish you have become. :)
Passed all 25 tasks to become Master of Sweden?
Please fill in the form below, to let me know about it, so you have the chance to win one of five How to be Swedish books.
To learn more how to act like a typical Swede, read How to be Swedish – A Quick Guide to Swedishness – in 55 Steps.