If you have ever been to Sweden, you must have noticed that there are delicious räkmackor (shrimp /prawn sandwiches) on every corner: in the refrigerated shelves of supermarkets, in cafés and at many petrol stations.
They are considered as the ideal snack between meals. If you are a kind of famished and perhaps desire to eat something “real” instead of kanelbullar, räkmackor are a popular alternative.
Order räkmackor in Swedish
En räkmacka, tack! – A shrimp sandwich, please!
Två räkmackor, tack! – Two shrimp sandwiches, please!
Here is the recipe on how you can make shrimp sandwich at home. It is quite simple…
- 1 slice of bread, can also be lightly toasted
- 2 tablespoons of mayonnaise
- 1 hard-boiled egg
- 1 large lettuce leaf
- 250 g prawns/shrimps
- 1/2 lemon
- possibly a slice of cucumber and tomato
- salt and pepper
- Butter the bread slices
- Place the lettuce leaf on top
- Cut the egg into slices and place on the lettuce leaf
- Spread the mayonnaise on it
- Then put the shrimp on it
- Add little salt and pepper on it
- A few drops of lemon
- A slice of lemon and dill for decoration
- You can also decorate it with a slice of cucumber and tomato to give the prawn sandwich a little more color
I hope you enjoy your Swedish shrimp sandwich! Smaklig måltid! :)
More about food in Schweden
- Traditional Swedish food
- Swedish drinking culture
- Sweden travel guide – including “what food you MUST try when you are in Sweden”